Dandruff is a scalp condition that is marked by the flakes of skin on the scalp. It could be due to the dryness of the scalp or due to the excessive production of oil on the scalp. Dandruff varies from mild and patchy scaling to thick, adherent crusts.
What causes dandruff?
There are many causes of dandruff. The most common causes of dandruff are –
- Dry skin: Too many experts, this is the most common cause of dandruff. The dandruff flakes from dry skin are smaller in size.
- Missing shampoo: Not doing shampoo at frequent intervals can let dandruff gather on your scalp.
- Some skin conditions: Some conditions of the skin such as eczema, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis lead to dry, dead skin cells that form thick scales like dandruff.
- Contact dermatitis: Sensitivity to hair products is also a possible cause of dandruff.
- Improper diet.
- Male hormones: Some experts believe that because of certain male hormones, men are more at the risk of dandruff than women.
Prevention of dandruff
By following some steps, you can always prevent dandruff if it is mild. Stubborn dandruff needs expert advice and treatment. The following should be considered to prevent dandruff from appearing:
- Haircare: Use shampoo at frequent intervals. Shampooing your hair keeps them nourished and moisturized. It does not allow dandruff to appear.
- Severe cases require a clinical assessment of the scalp. With Dr. Reena Sharma’s vast clinical experience, you can expect genuine treatment advice and quick recovery from your hair problems.